I don't believe for one minute the positive rebuttals that have been made on this website regarding the IPIU! They're all lies. I challenge the IPIU to produce one verifiable REAL private investigator job that has been assigned to ANY member as a result of their membership. This organization's forums (at least the last time I was allowed access) was full of deceiptful information.
I got my money back in full, so I do have to give them credit for that, BUT at this point I'm concerned about identity theft since I was required to disclose on the IPIU Criminal Warrants Registration form all names I have ever been known by, my drivers license number, social security number, my mother's maiden name, my place of birth, parent's full names, and employment and residence history for the past ten years. This was mailed along with the required fingerprints card done by local law enforcement, and a Skill Assessment Profile that included information on languages I speak, special interests, club memberships, specialized training, outdoor skills and other interests, etc. I will be watching my credit report, credit card statements and bank accounts very carefully, as well as conducting periodic searches online for the use of any of my past legal names, AND changing my passwords often.
My advice - If you are serious about pursuing a career in Private Investigation:
1) Find a real physical training school or a professional PI to apprentice under.
2) Get yourself a subscription to PI Magazine www.pimagazine.com it was the only thing of real value I received from IPIU.
3) Buy or borrow these books
* The Complete Idiot's Guide to Private Investigating By Steven Kerry Brown
*The Investigator's Little Black Book 3 By Robert Scott, P.I.
4) Read through Toxey McDavid's Private Investigator Forums at http://privateeye.proboards20.com/index.cgi Although the board that was detailing the IPIU was hacked last week and members are posting in another section now... he should have a more secure service up soon.
5) Search your state's website for private investigator licensing requirements, exams, approved courses and schools.