This is a Letter Written to Sears about my issue, which explains everything:
To whom it may concern:
As you can see from the information below (which contains the order number and my information) I recently ordered a portable air conditioner. If you look at the history of my account you will also note that in the last year I have spent a considerable amount of money with Sears on some large ticket items and until this week I had planned on some more purchases.
The purchase of the Air conditioner has now changed my opinion of Sears and how they treat their customers and view their customer’s time, I don’t think I will ever order anything from Sears again.
When I placed the order for the AC unit I was given two options for delivery: 1) Pick it up at a store free of charge or 2) have it delivered for a fee of $60. When I looked at the expected dates of each of these options, having it delivered to me for the fee of $60 was fastest way to get it and I was given the option of having it delivered on the 30th between 8 and 1 or 5 and 9. If I chose to pick it up the date would be the 2nd of July and due to the humidity and the holiday I wanted it sooner than later so I chose the delivery to be on June 30th between 5 and 9. On Monday I received a phone call confirming the delivery and making sure that someone was going to home during this time and of course I agreed someone would be. On June 30th I left work early and turned down invitations for Canada Day parties so that I would be home to receive the shipment. I arrived home at 4:30 and began the wait. 9:00pm came and went with no truck or phone call as to why the delivery was late. At 10 minutes after 9 I made my first call to the delivery centre and was advised the AC unit was on the truck and that truck may be tied up but it should come eventually, but if didn’t hear anything by 9:30 call back. When 9:30 came I was angry that I wasted my night sitting at home waiting for a non-existent AC unit to arrive and I called the centre back again. At this point the agent refunded the delivery charge but stated that the truck may still arrive and if it didn’t please call back at 10:30pm my time. So at 10:30 I call once again to hear an agent tell me that we need to reschedule the delivery for either Friday between 8am and 1pm or Saturday between 8am and 5pm. I think my exact comment to her was “You have to be kidding me, my AC unit is on the delivery truck now and I have to reschedule for either Friday morning when I am at work or Sometime during the day Saturday and of course I have to sit and wait all day until it comes? ” It was at this point I suggested they drop it off at my local pickup centre so that I can have it for Thursday, which the agent then informed that redirecting the unit could take 4 to 5 days for me to get it at the pickup centre. When she told me this I know I started to laugh and said to her “My ac unit is on a delivery truck now but has to be taken off the truck and rescheduled for a delivery two or three days from now, how come they can’t either drop it at a store or bring it to me Thursday late afternoon or evening since it is already on the truck? ” I was then told that delivery times cannot be narrowed down any farther then they currently where and scheduled deliveries take precedence over store shipments, that the reason they could not deliver it Thursday to me was they already had a full schedule of deliveries to make and the reason it could not go to the store on Thursday was they needed a full truck load before they would send it out.
So this morning I called the customer service line to see if there was any updates on what was going to happen and a lady named PAM informed of a couple of things:
1) The AC unit was never on a truck for delivery Tuesday
2) The $60 compensation I was given (yes not a refund for a service I didn’t receive but compensation) was more than fair for the situation and frustration I am dealing with.
3) That the special deliveries team was now handling the “case” as the item was now marked missing, this was right after she told me that she could tell it was sitting at the delivery dock and the reason it didn’t get shipped was it didn’t arrive on the dock until 1:45pm on Tuesday and the drivers load their trucks early in the morning.
My questions at this point are:
1) Why didn’t someone call me to say the item was not going to be delivered? They called to confirm the day before, because the delivery guys time is so damn precious we wouldn’t want them to come all the way to my house and have me not be home so why is my time any less valuable?
2) Why would a customer who was promised a delivery one Tuesday not be priority on the next Business day?
3) Can you have your customer service agents stop calling a refund compensation? Sears has not, and by the sounds of what is now happening, will not provide this “Delivery service” to me so why should I have to pay for it?
I honestly thought that Sears was a better company this, I guess it was due to the fact I almost always dealt with my local store when I wanted anything. Well Times have changed in Canada and guess what Sears isn’t the only store buy from. If I ever get the AC unit, it will be the last thing I buy from Sears for a very long time.
I will update this post as I get more info.